Skip Navigation LinksAgriculture > Protect > Food Safety > Manufacturing, Distribution and Wholesale > Manufacturing, Processing, Distribution, Warehousing, Wholesale

​Manufacturing, Processing, Distribution, Warehousing, Wholesale

Establishments under this program would include, a building, or place or portion thereof, or vehicle maintained, used or operated for the purpose of commercially storing, packaging, making, cooking, mixing, processing, bottling, baking, canning, freezing, packing or otherwise preparing or transporting or handling food.

Proprietors intending to operate a food manufacturing, warehousing, processing, storage or any other type of wholesale food operation must apply for a Food Registration prior to operation.  Establishments registered with the Department can state "Reg. Penna. Dept. of Agr." on their product labeling.  Only PDA registered establishments may use this statement.  Food establishments are regulated under Act 106 of 2010 (3 C.S §§5721 - 5737) which by reference incorporates all regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) relating to food.

Most federal regulations relating to food are found in Title 21 of the federal code.  See below for a link to the CFR's.  The only exception to registration is those firms operating solely under milk or milk product permits.

Code of Federal Regulations


Those establishment registered with the Department will pay a $35, made payable to the "Commonwealth of PA".  The only exemption to the fee is "vehicles used primarily for the transportation of any consumer commodity in bulk or quantity to manufacturers, packers, processors or wholesale or retail distributors".  These vehicles are however subject to all other aspects of Act 106.

How to Apply

Commercial Food Manufacturers/Processors, Distributors and Warehouses: To operate a food establishment of this type, please fill out the "Application Packet- Food Establishment Registration".  This document can be found under Forms.  DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY WITH THIS APPLICATION.

Please submit your application to the appropriate Regional Office as listed on the cover letter of the Application.  Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.  Once approved, you will receive an on-site inspection of the establishment.  Upon a compliant inspection, your registration fee of $35.00 will be collected.


Once registered with the department, a renewal application for your registration will sent annually via USPS approximately 45 days prior to expiration of the current registration.  If you have lost your current registration and need replacement or your renewal application was lost or not received, please contact a licensing clerk at 717-787-4315 for assistance or fill out the "Wholesale Renewal Application" document under Forms.


The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), enacted on January 4, 2011, amended section 415 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), in relevant part, to require that facilities engaged in manufacturing, processing, packing, or holding food for consumption in the United States register their facilities with FDA.

If you are the owner, operator, or agent in charge of either a domestic or foreign facility that is engaged in manufacturing/processing, packing, or holding of food for human or animal consumption in the U.S., you must register with FDA, unless you are exempt under 21 CFR 1.226 from the requirements to register. If you are an owner, operator, or agent in charge of a domestic facility, you must register your facility whether or not the food from the facility enters interstate commerce. If you are the owner, operator, or agent in charge of a facility, you may authorize an individual to register your facility on your behalf (21 CFR 1.225 and 1.227(b)(2)). A foreign facility’s U.S. agent may, but is not required to, register the facility (21 CFR 1.230). For more information contact FDA at 1-800-216-7331or 301-575-0156 or visit their website at


Please visit USDA at:

NOTE: Poultry growers who have 1000 or fewer birds will need to register with PDA under the Food Establishment Registration program. Producers of non-amenable meats who do not utilized the USDA meat inspection program voluntarily must register with PDA.