Skip Navigation LinksAgriculture > Consumer Protection > Food Safety > Retail Food


The retail food program covers all proprietors who serve food and/or drinks directly to the consumer with or without charge.   

  1. Retail Food Facilities and Restaurants: Bars, Clubs, Restaurants, Mobile Units, Food Auctions,Grocery Stores, Beer Distributors, Schools, Caterers and similar.
  2. Farmers Markets: Any farmers market stand/vendor with food or drink.  This would include indoor or outdoor farmers markets or farmers market stands.
  3. Fairs and Other Temporary Events: Events lasting 14 days or less.
  4. Frozen Dessert: Production and service of frozen desserts such as soft serve ice cream, frozen yogurt, italian ice and similar.
  5. Food Employee Certifcation: Requirements for retail food facilities and approved courses.
  6. Specialized Processes & HACCP: Guidance documents for specialized processes and HACCP plans for retail food facilities.



Not all Retail Food Facilities in Pennsylvania are under the jurisdiction of the PA Department of Agriculture (PDA).  

Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Erie, Montgomery, and Philadelphia have county health departments that conduct retail inspections and licensing in their jurisdictions. Some local municipalities, boroughs, townships, cities, etc., also do their own inspection and licensing of retail food facilities.  

Check Local Health Departments to see if your facility is, or will be, located in a Local Health jurisdiction.  You should contact your local health department for assistance with licensing in these jurisdictions.


A facility is exempt from having to obtain a Retail Food Facility License if:

  1. The facility is located within PDA jurisdiction as the licensor. The exemption does not necessarily apply to facilities operating in Local Health jurisdictions.
  2. The retail food facility is one of the following:
    1. Operates on no more than three (3) days per calendar year.
    2. Food bank owned by a charitable nonprofit entity and operated for charitable or religious purposes.
    3. Soup kitchen owned by a charitable nonprofit entity and operated for charitable or religious purposes.
    4. Charitable nonprofit entity established to promote and encourage participation or support for extra- curricular recreational activities for youth.
    5. Offers only prepackaged, shelf stable (non-TCS) foods or beverages (ex: canned soda, packaged chips, candy).
    6. Food or beverages sold only through a vending machine.
    7. Sells only raw agricultural commodities (unprocessed, not ready-to-eat).

A retail food facility that is exempt from the license requirements under the Act is exempt from the licensure requirement only, and remains subject to inspection and all other provisions of the Act.