Become a Member
PA Preferred® is a free membership available to Pennsylvania's farm-based businesses and businesses that support them by sourcing ingredients from Pennsylvania farms.
Why you should become a member:
- The PA Preferred logo differentiates Pennsylvania-produced products in a local-minded market.
- It provides consumers a tangible way to support Pennsylvania farms.
- Displaying the logo on products or at business locations provides Pennsylvania farmers the point-of-sale visibility needed to be successful in the marketplace.
- Displaying the PA Preferred logo on websites or at places of business, invites consumers to ask about the program, providing an opportunity for the farmer and/or business owner to share their story and connect with their customers.
- PA Preferred brand awareness is growing rapidly. When you use the logo, your products will be associated with this network of Pennsylvania products, giving your company a competitive advantage.
PA Preferred members are a dynamic and diverse collection of businesses that represent Pennsylvania agriculture. PA Preferred membership is a network of individuals and businesses that produce, process, prepares, sell, offer for sale, market, promote, or are involved with any aspect of production, processing, preparation, promotion, marketing, sale, or offering for sale of PA-produced agricultural commodities.
A farmer/producer must be a qualified entity who produces a commodity entirely harvested from a PA location or grown on a PA location for at least 75% of its production cycle.
PA Preferred farms are growing fruits, vegetables, and grains. They are raising animals for both meat and milk. Farmers are the heart of the PA Preferred® program and easily qualify for the program when they are located within Pennsylvania. Eligible beef farms raise the animals for at least 100 days in Pennsylvania.
A processor must be a qualified entity who processes a commodity at a facility in Pennsylvania and that commodity must be produced in Pennsylvania to the maximum extent possible given seasonal restrictions and market availability.
Our food processors include a variety of businesses that process commodities into preserved items such as jams, salsas, pickles, dressings, etc. Some examples of PA Preferred® beverage processors include brewers, wineries, and distilleries. Fluid milk plants also fall into this category.
Farmers Markets that feature vendors that are either producers themselves or vendors that carry Pennsylvania-produced items are eligible for PA Preferred. Retailers, grocery stores, and nurseries must be physically located in Pennsylvania and must carry a substantial amount of Pennsylvania-produced products.
Restaurants must be physically located in Pennsylvania and must strive to offer as many entrée items with featured Pennsylvania-produced ingredients as practical given seasonal restrictions and market availability.