Begin Main Content Area

PDA Employment Opportunities

There are two types of employment available with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Civil Service and Non-Civil Service.

If you wish to apply for Food Sanitarian, Microbiologist, Agronomic Products Inspector or other Civil Service job follow the Civil Service application process.

If you wish to apply for the Dog Law Enforcement Warden, Administrative Officer, Clerk Typist, or other Non-Civil Service job follow the Non-Civil Service application process.

Civil Service Positions

Applicants interested in Civil Service positions need to take the appropriate Civil Service examination in order to be available for vacancies within Agriculture.  Open career opportunities can be found on the State Civil Service Commission website under the Job Seekers tab.  You can view exam announcements by clicking on the announcement number next to the position title.  The announcement provides the nature of work, minimum education and training requirements, necessary special requirements and information about the exam/application process.  The summary of open civil service examinations is updated monthly and should be accessed periodically to view new announcements. Applicants need to apply on-line at the State Civil Service Commission's website for most job titles.  A Civil Service Application needs to be completed so that an individual's education and work experience can be reviewed for eligibility.  If you meet the minimum education and training requirements of the job title and you pass the appropriate examination, you will be placed on the Civil Service list of eligible's.  As vacancies occur, Civil Service lists are used to contact potential candidates for interviews.

Non-Civil Service Positions

The Bureau of State Employment (BSE) is responsible for the referral of candidates for Non-Civil Service vacancies throughout the Commonwealth.  You can apply for non-civil service employment at  If you do not have access to the Internet, visit your local library or call 1.866.858.2753 to find a PA CareerLink near you.

Personal Data Sheet

BSE refers candidates as vacancies occur.  An applicant's information is retained on BSE's referral database for one year.

Questions regarding employment within the Department of Agriculture should be directed to a Recruitment and Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist at

PA is proud to be an EEO employer supporting workforce diversity.

Current Opportunities