Begin Main Content Area

food safety plans & haccp for manufactuers

Food Establishments under this program would include, a building, or place or portion thereof, or vehicle maintained, used or operated for the purpose of commercially manufacturing, processing, storing, or distributing seafood and juice products for human consumption.

Proprietors intending to operate seafood or juice manufacturing, warehousing, processing, storage or any other type of seafood or juice wholesale food operation must apply to the Department for a Food Registration under The Food Safety Act of 2010 (3 C.S.A. §§ prior to operation.  Establishments registered with the Department can state "Reg. Penna. Dept. of Agr." on their product labeling.  Only PDA registered establishments may use this statement.

Food/Drink wholesalers/processors must be inspected and be found in compliance before the Department can issue a Registration.  Seafood and Juice food establishments must have training related to HACCP and have developed HACCP plans to be compliant with the regulations.

FDA Juice HACCP Information
FDA Seafood HACCP Information

How to Apply with Pa Department of Agriculture

All registered facilities pay a $35 registration fee.  No exceptions.

Juice Processors - Proprietors should fill out an 'Application Packet - Food Establishment Registration' found on this page under Forms. Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for processing.

Seafood HACCP facilities - visit the 'Seafood HACCP and Shellfish Certification' Program page for more information.

Shellfish - Visit the 'Seafood HACCP and Shellfish Certification' Program page for more information.


Once registered with the Department as a wholesaler, processor, manufacture, or distributor a renewal application for your registration will sent annually via USPS approximately 45 days prior to expiration of the current registration.  You will be required to return this renewal along with a $35 dollar registration fee prior to the expiration of your current registration.

If you have lost your current registration and need replacement or your renewal application was lost or not received, please contact a licensing clerk at 717-787-4315 for assistance or print and return the "Registration Renewal - Wholesaler" found on this page under FORMS.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration Registration

Some food facilities are required to register with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the 2002 Bioterrorism Act.

To learn more about who must register their facilities with FDA under the Bioterrorism Act of 2002 visit FDA at: Registration of Food Facilities

The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Technical Assistance Network is now operational and providing technical assistance to industry, regulators, academia, consumers and others regarding FSMA implementation.
The Technical Assistance Network will address questions related to the FSMA rules, FSMA programs, and implementation strategies after the rules are final. We encourage stakeholders to first visit FDA’s FSMA webpage at, which contains detailed information on all aspects of FSMA, including implementation. The webpage includes Frequently Asked Questions about FSMA by topic area. FDA is implementing the Technical Assistance Network in two phases:
  • Phase 1 addresses inquiries related to the publication of FSMA rules and is operational.
  • Phase 2 will provide technical assistance to FDA and State staff performing inspections and supporting compliance activities; it will be implemented by 2017 when preventive controls inspections are targeted to begin.
The key features of the Technical Assistance Network:
  • Inquiries may be submitted through a web form. The web form can be accessed at Go to Contact Us and then How to Contact FDA on FSMA.
  • Inquiries are answered by FDA Information Specialists or Subject Matter Experts, based on the complexity of the question. Complicated questions may require more time for a response. FDA will respond to inquiries received as soon as possible. However, response times may vary, due to complexity of question and the volume of inquiries we receive.
  • Once a question is submitted, the inquirer will receive notification of receipt and a case number to be referenced in future correspondence.