Mobile Food Facilities, Fairs and Temporary Events
Mobile food facility
licenses are issued to:
units including food trucks, stick stands, carts, and other similar structures
that are mobile/transitory by design from which food is stored, prepared,
processed, distributed or sold.
food facilities physically located at one site or location for no more than 14
consecutive days, whether operating continuously or not during this time.
A food facility that is physically located at any one site
for more than 14 consecutive days
shall not be considered a mobile
Temporary licenses are issued to one of the following:
Temporary Event License
Retail Food Facility operating for no more than 14 days in duration, whether consecutive or non-consecutive, in a fixed location and in conjunction with an event or celebration
Temporary events may include fairs, carnivals, festivals, or other similar temporary events
A temporary event license is specific to an event. The Law does not limit the number of Temporary Event Licenses one proprietor may apply for in a calendar year.
Commissary means an operating base location to which a mobile food facility returns daily for vehicle and equipment cleaning, discharging liquid or solid wastes, refilling water tanks and ice bins, and storing food.
A commissary may not be a residential personal use kitchen and MUST be SEPARATED from private residential use areas.
For more information on mobile food facilities and commissary requirements, SEE PUBLICATIONS – Mobile Food Facility Operation Guide
How to Apply
All NEW Applicants
- Download and/or print, the appropriate Application Packet under FORMS on the right hand side of this page.
- Mobile Food Facilities (food trucks, stick stands, carts, and other similar structures that are mobile/transitory by design) – Application Packet – Mobile Food Facilities
- Non-mobile Food Facilities (churches, firehalls, and other structures with permanent water and sewage connections) – Application Packet – Temporary License Non-Mobile
All material must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the preparation/sale of food from a retail food facility. Failure to provide all required information can delay and/or deny your plan review. Email is the preferred method of plan review submission.
Submit completed applications and requested documentation to:
or mail / fax to:
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services
Attn: Plan Review
2301 N. Cameron St, Room 112
Harrisburg, PA 17110
- If your county is under a County Health Department Jurisdiction, you should contact them directly for licensing. These counties include Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Erie, Montgomery, and Philadelphia.
- Do not send money with this application
- Allow 4-6 weeks for processing
- You will receive an approval letter via email or mail
- An inspector will schedule an on-site inspection of the facility/mobile unit.
- Upon a compliant inspection, your license fee will be collected, and a Retail Food Facility License issued.
If not Approved:
- You will be sent a letter describing why the plans were not approved. Applicants are encouraged to re-submit the plans again with the corrected or requested information.
If inspection is not passed:
- You will be provided with an inspection report stating your deficiencies. When deficiencies are corrected, you can contact your inspector to request another inspection.
Renewal of Licenses – Renewal of licenses occurs annually with notification to proprietors approximately 45 days prior to the current expiration date. Renewals can also be processed online with a user account and unique business code. If you do not receive a renewal application or know your business code, contact the department at 717-787-4315.
Lost/Duplicate License – Contact the department at 717-787-4315.
|NEW Mobile food facility||$241|
|NEW Mobile under 50 seats AND owner operated||$103|
|Non-mobile Temporary Food Facility||$14|
|Change of ownership||$82|
|2nd follow-up inspection||$150|
|3rd follow-up inspection||$300|
|Duplicate license fee||$14|
|Make checks payable to "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania"|