Begin Main Content Area

Mobile Food Facilities, Fairs and Temporary Events

Mobile food facility licenses are issued to:

    • Mobile units including food trucks, stick stands, carts, and other similar structures that are mobile/transitory by design from which food is stored, prepared, processed, distributed or sold.
    • Mobile food facilities physically located at one site or location for no more than 14 consecutive days, whether operating continuously or not during this time. 
    • A food facility that is physically located at any one site for more than 14 consecutive days shall not be considered a mobile food facility.  

Temporary licenses are issued to one of the following:

  • Temporary Event License

    • Retail Food Facility operating for no more than 14 days in duration, whether consecutive or non-consecutive, in a fixed location and in conjunction with an event or celebration

    • Temporary events may include fairs, carnivals, festivals, or other similar temporary events

    • A temporary event license is specific to an event. The Law does not limit the number of Temporary Event Licenses one proprietor may apply for in a calendar year.

  • Temporary Food Facility License

    • Retail Food Facility operating for no more than 14 days per calendar year, and not in conjunction with an event or celebration 

    • Temporary food facilities may include churches, firehalls, or sportsman clubs 

    • Temporary Food Facility Licenses are renewed yearly and valid for operation up to 14 days per calendar year. Only one Temporary Food Facility License per year may be issued to a retail food facility.

Commissary Requirements

  • Commissary means an operating base location to which a mobile food facility returns daily for vehicle and equipment cleaning, discharging liquid or solid wastes, refilling water tanks and ice bins, and storing food. 

  • A commissary may not be a residential personal use kitchen and MUST be SEPARATED from private residential use areas.

  •  For more information on mobile food facilities and commissary requirements, SEE PUBLICATIONS – Mobile Food Facility Operation Guide 

How to Apply

All NEW Applicants

    • Download and/or print, the appropriate Application Packet under FORMS on the right hand side of this page.
    • Mobile Food Facilities (food trucks, stick stands, carts, and other similar structures that are mobile/transitory by design) – Application Packet – Mobile Food Facilities 


    • Non-mobile Food Facilities (churches, firehalls, and other structures with permanent water and sewage connections) – Application Packet – Temporary License Non-Mobile

All material must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the preparation/sale of food from a retail food facility. Failure to provide all required information can delay and/or deny your plan review. Email is the preferred method of plan review submission.


Submit completed applications and requested documentation to:


or mail / fax to:

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services

Attn: Plan Review

2301 N. Cameron St, Room 112

Harrisburg, PA 17110

Fax: 717-787-1873


    • If your county is under a County Health Department Jurisdiction, you should contact them directly for licensing. These counties include Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Erie, Montgomery, and Philadelphia.
    • Do not send money with this application
    • Allow 4-6 weeks for processing  

If Approved:

    • You will receive an approval letter via email or mail
    • An inspector will schedule an on-site inspection of the facility/mobile unit.
    • Upon a compliant inspection, your license fee will be collected, and a Retail Food Facility License issued.

If not Approved:

    • You will be sent a letter describing why the plans were not approved.  Applicants are encouraged to re-submit the plans again with the corrected or requested information.

If inspection is not passed:

    • You will be provided with an inspection report stating your deficiencies.  When deficiencies are corrected, you can contact your inspector to request another inspection.

Renewal of Licenses – Renewal of licenses occurs annually with notification to proprietors approximately 45 days prior to the current expiration date.  Renewals can also be processed online with a user account and unique business code. If you do not receive a renewal application or know your business code, contact the department at 717-787-4315.

Lost/Duplicate License – Contact the department at 717-787-4315.


NEW Mobile food facility
NEW Mobile under 50 seats AND owner operated$103
Non-mobile Temporary Food Facility$14
Change of ownership$82
Annual renewals$82
Courtesy inspections$150
2nd follow-up inspection$150
3rd follow-up inspection$300
Duplicate license fee$14
Make checks payable to "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania"