Begin Main Content Area

Retail Food Facilities & Restaurants

Retail Food Facility Licenses are issued to:

  • Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Food Auctions, Grocery Stores, Convenient Store, Beer Distributors, Schools, Caterers and similar public food facilities where food is sold or served directly to a consumer from a physical location or facility. 

  • All retailers are required to obtain a Retail Food Facility License PRIOR to operating a Retail Food Facility. This includes new facilities and change of ownerships for existing businesses. Licenses are non-transferable to another proprietor, new facility or location.

How to Apply:

  • SEE FORMS (on right) - download, print and submit Application Packet – Retail Food Facilities and Restaurants
  • Submit application via mail or fax to the appropriate Regional Office as listed on the cover letter of the application
  • Do not send money with this application
  • Allow 4-6 weeks for processing  

If Approved:

  • A inspector will schedule an on-site inspection of the facility

  • Upon a compliant inspection, your license fee will be collected and a Retail Food Facility License issued

If not Approved:

  • You will be sent a letter describing why the plans were not approved.  Applicants are encouraged to re-submit the plans again with the corrected or requested information.

If inspection is not passed:

  • You will be provided with an inspection report stating your deficiencies.  When deficiencies are corrected, you can contact your inspector to request another inspection.

Change of Ownership – New owners MUST submit “Application Packet- CHANGE OF OWNER."

Remodeling - Currently licensed facilities MUST submit "Application Packet- Retail Food Facility- REMODEL" to the Department prior to any remodeling or significant changes to the service, equipment, or facilities. There is no fee for the plan review application process.

NOTE: New owners who are also remodeling MUST submit BOTH applications listed above.

Renewal of Licenses – Renewal of licenses occurs annually with notification to proprietors approximately 45 days prior to the current expiration date.  If you do not receive a renewal application, contact the department licensing clerks at 717-787-4315.

Lost/Duplicate License – Contact the department licensing clerks at 717-787-4315.


NEW retail food facility


NEW under 50 seats AND owner operated


Change of ownership


Annual renewals


Courtesy inspections


2nd follow-up inspection


3rd follow-up inspection


Duplicate license fee


Make checks payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”