PLASTIC PESTICIDE CONTAINER RECYCLING PROGRAM
This program is available to all licensed
pesticide applicators. In order to participate in the program, applicators must
ensure that all containers are free of all pesticide residue, inside and
outside. Triple rinsing is required. All label booklets, plastic sleeves and
caps should be removed and discarded. Only #2 HDPE plastic containers from EPA
registered agricultural, structural, turf, forestry, and specialty pest control
products, as well as containers from crop oils, surfactants, and fertilizers,
will be accepted. For more information, see the PPCR photo guide and also
the directory of public sites.
Plastic pesticide container recycling benefits
PA pesticide applicators in many ways:
Collected containers are
granulated into chips and recycled into corrugated drain pipe
all the pesticide into their spray tank, applicators get maximum product
for their money
containers reduce unsightly clutter and provide for needed landfill space
containers do not contaminate the air or groundwater by being burned or
How to Triple-Rinse Your Containers:
1. Shake vigorously and empty contents of
container into spray tank, turning the container so that any product trapped in
the handle is allowed to flow out. Once flow is down to a drip, allow the
container to drain for an additional 30 seconds.
2. Immediately begin rinsing procedures or the product may become
difficult to remove.
3. Fill container 1/4 full of water.
4. Replace the cap on the container. With the container opening facing
left, shake the container left to right over a distance of four to six inches.
Shake the container about twice per second for 30 seconds.
5. Drain rinse water into spray tank as previously described.
6. Fill the container 1/4 full of water a second time.
7. Recap the container. With the opening of the container pointed towards
the ground, shake the container as described before. Then drain the rinse water
into the spray tank.
8. Finally, fill the container 1/4 full of water once more with clean
9. Recap the container. With the opening of the container in the normal
upright position, shake the container as you did before, 30 seconds with a four
to six inch vertical motion, twice per second.
10. Pour the rinse water into the spray tank. Carefully rinse the outside
of the container.
11. Remove foil seal and label booklet.
12. Recycle the container!
For additional assistance
with the recycling program, please call 717-705-5858.